“The First Fifty Years” is a publication which details the masonic history of St Laurence Lodge No 5511 and celebrates the 50th Anniversary of the lodge.
.Our masonic history could be said to have started with the naming of our lodge. It was at first to be called the Upminster Lodge. The proposition to name it this is shown as being carried at the second founders’ meeting. Quite naturally, the Ingrebourne Lodge demurred in that they considered themselves the senior Upminster lodge. At the third founders’ meeting on 12th April 1934, since the Lodge intended to meet in St Laurence Church Hall, the name ‘St Laurence Lodge’ was unanimously accepted.
It is pleasant to be associated with this lovely church, with its masonic history. The foundation stone for the extension was laid in 1927 by the then Deputy Provincial Grand Master, Dr J.H. Salter. The stone can be seen to the right of the porch of the church. Its inscription records that it was laid by Lord Lambourne, Provincial Grand Master and Lord Lieutenant of Essex. However, Dr Salter was deputising on that occasion as Lord Lambourne was indisposed. The connection with the church increases our sense of tradition and continuity in that the church and its site have a very long history. “Ancient no doubt it is” in that it is believed that a church has existed on this site since the 8th century and the lower parts of the main tower of the present building date from the 12th century.
At the Consecration of our lodge, the Provincial Grand Chaplain, W. Bro. Rev. Canon W.E. Morrow, gave an account of the story of St Laurence, one of the early martyrs of the Christian Church. St Laurence, a deacon of Rome was murdered in 258 A.D.
We are now working on another booklet bringing our masonic history up to date.
For information from the United Grand Lodge of England on the general history of Freemasonry, follow this link.